What Does SPF Mean………………..
- SPF 50 or Sun Protection Factor 50 is a rating given by the Therapeutic Goods Act of Australia stating this Sun Screen will provide 50 x the protection of your skin.
- If you naturally burn within 5 minutes of sun exposure. This sun screen will protect you for 50 x that amount of time exposed. That would be 250 minutes or 4 hours and 16 minutes before you burn.
- This does not take into account swimming, towel drying, removing cloths or perspiring.
- All of the above will remove some of the protection, hence we must constantly re-apply.
What does Broad Spectrum Mean?
- Broad Spectrum refers to the protection from both UVA and UVB Light.
- UVA is what damages our collagen and elastin, and makes our skin and eyes age.
- UVB light rays are what causes burning and damage to the epidermis of our skin and our eyes.
- Both Cause damage, both are responsible for skin cancers. Both Cause age related skin damage.
- Broad spectrum must be written on your sunscreen to protect for both types of protection.
Excuses! Sun Screens Makes me Break-Out!
- When considering the purchase of a Sun Screen take into account the quality of the product. A good product will be non-comedogenic, this means it will not clog your skin and it will not make you break-out.
- Do remember to cleanse you skin thoroughly with a good cleanser suited to your skin.
Do you Ever say to yourself!
- But I’m never in the sun!
- I don’t go in the sun!
- I wear sun block when I’m in the sun!
- My make-up has sun protection in it!
- I only walk and exercise in the early hours of the morning!
- Sun block will make me break-out!
- I’ve got good skin I don’t burn!
The Reality is!
- A Queensland University study showed those of us who do not go in the sun, spend 100 hours exposed to direct sunlight a year!
- There is no sun block its only a sun screen and it cannot give 100% protection.
- Make-up will not give sun screen protection unless it states it has SPF 50 with Broad Spectrum Protection and Water Resistant.
- Our screening advice in Australia is now to wear a sun screen or stay out of the sun from 7.30am-4.30pm.
- Every skin when sun exposed will be affected, some more than others.
Sun is the #1 reason for skin ageing!
- Damage to skin cells DNA
- Damage to Collagen
- Damage to Elastin
- Damage to Capillaries
- Cancer causing to Basil Cells
- Cancer causing to Squamous Cells
- Cancer causing to Melanocytes
Information by the Chemist from Fluer De Mer Cosmeceuticals